Saturday, May 7, 2016

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I am very behind on my Marvel movie watching. It is hard to find the time between all the princess movies.
However, with all the rave reviews for Civil War, I felt obligated to at least try and catch up. At least I will have a glimmer of hope of seeing this one in the theater.....
So to catch up, I took Winter Soldier out of the library. It feels like the only required prequel to seeing Civil War. I'm sure seeing Age of Ultron would help, and I do want to see it, but it does not feel necessary.
I thought the first Captain America movie was the best Marvel movie out of its cycle. The Iron Man movies were great fun and Thor was epic, but Captain America was fun, epic, and more real. Steve Rodgers was somehow more human and likable than Tony Stark. I thought that was true in the comics as well. Stark, even when felled by drink or wracked with guilt, always seemed a little to entitled for my taste.
I think Winter Soldier continues the pattern. Steve Rodgers, even when faced with difficult moral choices, sticks to his, perhaps naive and outdated, moral code. Truth, honor, loyalty, freedom, justice: these are not just words to Rodgers; they are the bedrock of his world view.
It was interesting watch Rodgers adjust to a world that was more complicated. SHIELD is a spy organization and not an army. It keeps the world safe through subterfuge and managing the truth. That is not Rodger's way even if he sometimes understands that it is necessary. He do what needs to be done, but not blindly follow orders. How does that fit into an organization that does not always provide clear information to its soldiers?
Rodgers is the type of hero that will fight his best friend, if he has to, but will also fight to help that friend.
So, thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment