Sunday, December 20, 2009

Avatar

Like the big nerd that I am, I rushed out to see Avatar on opening day. I saw it in the full glory of IMAX 3D and am glad I did. It is a movie that deserves a huge screen and a big sound system. I'm sure it would look great on a smaller screen and in 2D, but it was meant for the full treatment.
Like the original Star Wars, Avatar moves the bar up for what is possible using special effects. Cameron's new world looks as real as any set I've ever seen. The creatures also look real. They don't look "sort of" real like allot of CGI creatures. They look like flesh and blood. The facial expressions, the body movements, the skin, everything. It is hard to distinguish between what is CGI and what isn't even when humans and creatures are interacting. The 3D makes it all the more engrossing. However, there were a few times when the 3D effects fuzzed things out.
The story is nothing special. It is Ferngully in space. The trailer gives the whole plot away and there are no surprises. The script is clunky in places, but not as bad as the scripts for the last three Star Wars films. The acting was top notch considering that half of the time you are watching CGI and could still feel the characters.
At nearly three hours, the movie could use a bit of trimming. A lot of screen time is taken up showing off the fancy effects and the lushness of the world. There is also a little too much exposition. Overall, though, I didn't notice the long running time because I was so engrossed in the visual spectacle.
It is not the best sci-fi movie of the year, but it is top three. I highly recommend going for the full IMAX treatment. The seating is better, the sound is better, the visuals deserve the bigger screen, and the price difference is nominal. I paid 14 bucks - the extra $2 is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment