Saturday, March 13, 2010

Extract

Extract is a small flick that made the indie rounds last summer. The trailer was funny enough to hook me. It had just enough quark to catch my eye, but not enough to be a turn off. (The right quark balance is tricky to find.) I hoped to see it in the theaters, but sadly it was gone before its time.
When it showed up on Verizon VOD, I jumped. After a few minor technical glitches, we were treated to a funny, dark rom-comish glimpse at lives gone slightly off track. Jason Bateman is perfect as the uptight, slightly lost, mildly depressed main character. Ben Affleck is surprisingly good as his high school buddy, confidant, and spiritual guide. Mila Kunis rocks as the smoking hot catalyst.
Some of the plot is just plain goofy, but that is the fun of it all. At times it is even a little ridiculous. That, for me, was part of the fun. Its distance to reality made it cathartic.
I recommend renting it for date night.

No comments:

Post a Comment