Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Interview

I am not a fan of Seth Rogan comedies; The sophmoric, stoner, potty humor isn’t my style. I am not a fan of James Franco either; I just don’t understand the hype.
It is unlikely I would have chosen to watch The Interview without the surounding hubbub or if it involved paying money. Since Netflix picked up The Interview and suggested it as a popular on Netflix thing, H and I decided we should probably see what all the fuss was about.
The Interview is not a terrible movie. I didn’t hate it. Largely it was what I expected: drug jokes, gay jokes, sex jokes, basic stupidity being passed off as humor. Towards the end some over the top violence is tossed into for shock value.
I’ve read that what sets The Interview apart is its meta-narrative. It pokes fun at American infotainment journalism and the CIA and propaganda in general. I think that critique gives the movie too much credit. Those elements can be dredged out of the film and its use of the lowest of low comedy to appeal to a mass audience can also be seen as a stroke of brilliance. I think that is a happy accident.
If you are going to see The Interview see it soon before the central joke gets stale. If you decide to skip it, you are not missing much. Better yet, go see *Team America: World Police* instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment