Monday, August 12, 2013

The Avengers

The Avengers finally made it to Netflix! It is not that I wouldn't have paid to see it in the theaters; I just didn't want to expend precious escape points on it last summer and couldn't get H to go with me on date night.
It was probably for the best. It is one of the best super hero movies I've seen, but it wasn't special enough to trade for a day of kayaking or a bike ride. Whedon is a master of the small screen and that removed the things that make a movie a must see in the theater. Some movies need a huge screen, The Avengers did just fine on my 36" screen.
The things that made the movie standout were all in the interplay of the characters. Sure most of the characters are pretty stock super hero types, but watching them interact and learn to form a team is interesting. The least interesting characters were Hawkeye and Scarlet Johansen. I'm hoping they ditch them in favor of some actual super heroes or give them personalities in the sequel.
Marvel has gotten the super hero movie figured out. They brought in serious acting talent and focused on the characters. The even found a way to make the Hulk interesting. I still don't think the new Hulk could support a standalone movie, but he does make a nice addition to the ensemble.
I'm hoping they stick to the formula for at least a few more movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment