Monday, April 4, 2011

The Crazies 2010

After seeing the original Romero version of The Crazies, I was not certain I wanted to see the remake. Remakes usually just up the gore level to cover up a complete lack understanding of the original and an utter lack of originality.
We had free Starz this weekend and they happened to be showing the remake of The Crazies and there was little on other than basketball and baseball. Given my choices, I went with the remake.
I was pleasantly surprised. The gore factor was ampler up, but just enough to make it feel modern. They managed to keep the tension up and the sense of paranoia high. If anything the government in the remake is more sinister. In Romero's version, the military was a little clownish in the face of their futility. The military in the remake is more shadowy and therefore more menacing.
I really enjoyed the remake and think it is a worthy version of a classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment