Tuesday, January 25, 2011

An Education

Over the weekend H and I watched "An Education" on Netflix. The reviews were mostly positive and the movie deserved them. It was well done. The acting was excellent, the story was well crafted, and the cinematography was top rate.
That said it was not a great movie. Like most European dramas it felt slow. We kept waiting for something to happen. This is because "An Education" relies on character and good acting instead of big plot arcs.
Also, the whole story is a little creepy. Perhaps my work with mentally ill kids who have had run ins with pedophiles, or the fact that I'm a new father of a lovely daughter, makes me particularly sensitive. I suppose the argument could be made that in 1960 such an affair would be more common, but I find it hard to believe.
Despite the movie's flaws we gave it four out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment