Sunday, January 31, 2010

Up in the Air

Up on the Air is being hailed as one of the best movies of the year, but I was afriad that, like most movies, it would devolve into a "people need love" flick. H was leary of the film because she heard it was a downer (which secretly gave me hope for it). So we had no strong desire to see it, but given the dirth of quality movies out there "Up in the Air" was the only choice.
If "Up in the Air" is one of the best movies of the year it will be a mediocre year for movies. "Up in the Air" is on the right side of average, but doesn't quite reach greatness.
The acting is solid, but I expect nothing less from Cloney. I always like Justin Bateman. They play the nhilistic business men perfectly. Cloney's character's ability to fake empathy is chilling.
The story starts taking a nose dive when the main character starts to feel the need to fall in love. Why must every film end up as propaganda for love and human companionship? I'm not saying that I think a life devoid of human conections is for me, but it is an understandable life choice.
I do give the movie credit for sticking, mostly, to it's nihilism.

No comments:

Post a Comment