Monday, May 18, 2009

Star Trek

This "reboot" of Star Trek is good. I think it comes in just after "Wrath of Khan".
The new cast deliver a fun ride that pays homage to the original without slipping into the realm of a cheap copy. I particularly liked the new Kirk, Bones, and Uhura. The new Scotty and Sulu showed promise. Quinto's Spock was OK, but not a real standout.
The script is also good. The pacing is taught and has plenty of action. I also liked the few little touches that are tossed in to show the lineage. The 3rd space diver was a nice touch. I also liked the shout out to Star Wars fans when Kirk has his Skywalker moment on the ice.
There are a few things that I found disappointing. The first was the device the plot revolve around. I think time travel is a tired plot device. Sure it frees Abrahms from the baggage of the Star Trek universes history, but a really creative film maker could have stuck with the baggage and still made good movies. I also found the "relationship" between Uhura and Spock flat and troubling. It seemed like little more than a way to trump up the rivalry between Kirk and Spock.

No comments:

Post a Comment