Friday, January 4, 2008

"Shut up, you old bag," would be impolite

But do tell: What do you when you're in the theater and your fellow movie-goers are talking through the film?

When I went to see, "Before the Devil Know You're Dead," last night at the West Newton Cinema, we were relegated to one of the tinier theaters upstairs, with few seats and much fewer audience members.

But a couple of minutes into the movie, two women walked in, talking in regular voices as they found their seats - just a few over from mine. The continued to talk and soon, again in a regular speaking voice, asked me, "Did it just start?" I nodded in the affirmative, hoping they'd get the hint that I wasn't up for a conversation.

And through every twist and turn in the plot, the two shared their feelings with everyone in the theater.

I've been known, on occassion, to kindly ask folks to quiet down in the movies, but I'm always a bit shy about it. I was scathing, but kept my mouth shut in this instance.

When the credits rolled, and everyone began collect their belongings and leave, the man seated in front of me looked at them, and very quickly - as if he'd been rehearsing it in his head throughout the flick, said, "If you're going to talk through the movie, next time, would you move your seats away from eveyone?"

They looked baffled and one woman replied, "What, were we talking? Well, you could have moved YOUR seat."

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment